Flank steak is perfect for marinating as the marinade makes the meat wonderfully tender.
Grilled Marinated Flank Steak
By: adapted by Tom Stevens from SimplyRecipes.com
Recipe Type: Main
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons Extravagonzo Oil (ALL flavors work wonders, as do combinations)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons Extravagonzo Classic Dark Balsamic Vinegar
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds flank steak
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Score the surface of the steak with ¼ inch deep knife cuts, about an inch apart, across the grain of the meat
- Combine the marinade ingredients
- Place steak and marinade ingredients in a large freezer bag
- Coat the steak well with the marinade
- Seal the bag and place in a bowl
- Chill and marinate for at least 2 hours and up to overnight
- Using olive oil soaked onto a paper towel, coat the grill rack of your grill with olive oil
- Preheat the grill with high, direct heat
- The grill is hot enough when you hold your hand about an inch over it and you can only hold it there for about a second
- Take the steak out of the marinade bag and sprinkle generously on all sides with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- The salt and pepper will help form a savory crust on the steak
- Place steak on the hot grill
- If you are using a gas grill, cover the grill
- Grill for 4-6 minutes on each side
- Half way through grilling on each side, turn the steak 90° so that you get more grill marks
- When the steak has cooked to your preferred level of doneness — flank steak is best eaten medium rare; well done will make it too tough, remove from the grill and place on a cutting board.
- Cover with aluminum foil to hold in the heat and to keep the steak from drying out, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Make very thin slices, against the grain, and at a slight diagonal so that the slices are wide.
If you want, you can take the excess marinade and bring it to a boil, simmer for several minutes, and serve with the flank steak. Great also with salsa or horseradish sauce.